Harvest Sunset Background

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

11 months


It's here - the final month of Caroline's first year.  Preparation for the big party is in full swing.  A Teddy Bear Picnic theme seems fitting for our little "C-bear."  I'll have all of those details next month.  For now, Caroline has something she wants to show you....



Indeed!  She is walking. 
We started seeing more independent steps between objects early in the month.  Then, last week she fully let go and went for it.  She is able to walk 7 feet or so before falling.  You can see in the video how proud she is of her accomplishments.  We are proud as well, but preparing for more effort keeping up with her and probably some extra bumps and bruises.

Caroline is also feeding herself a lot more, and the dog is never far away..ahem.  She still LOVES blueberries (and Cheerios- but this is apparently an innate trait in babies).  She absolutely shovels the blueberries in and it's always straight to the tub afterward since she looks a bit like Violet from Willy Wonka.  This month we added pasta, cottage cheese, chicken, graham crackers, white potatoes, and quinoa.  As of now she doesn't seem to be a picky eater.  For that I am grateful.  We are still working on the transition to a sippy cup.  She is able to hold it and knows to put it in her mouth.  Sucking, as opposed to chewing, the spout is still coming.  Caroline still takes 3 bottles at school and nurses once in the morning and evening.

Caroline now has 4ish teeth.  I say 4ish, because we can't quite figure out what is going on with her bottom teeth.  We think it is two separate teeth but they are both small, very close together, and not particularly straight.  I think we better start the braces fund.  The other middle bottom tooth is getting close to breaking through.  She definitely has two top teeth.  Teeth are funny things.  She looks so different without the gummy smile.

We stopped using the baby tub this month.  We were probably overdue in making the switch.  Daddy declared she was too wiggly so into the big girl tub we went.

We've have enjoyed a couple of beautiful, Spring weather days sandwiched between yucky winter weather days this month.   This sounds crazy for 11 months, but I think it's the first time she has really experienced touching the grass.  It was very interesting to watch her explore and react to the feel of the prickly grass.  She would touch the grass off the blanket and draw her hand back, making this face that indicated, "I'm not so sure about this."  In the end she found a leaf to pick up and she enjoyed playing with that.  I am looking forward to more nice days to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors with her.

 Caroline is waving bye-bye more frequently, sometimes on command.  She enjoys riding in the shopping basket at the store and people watching.  She will lean sideways and crane her head around me to see people.  Strangers enjoy seeing and speaking to her as well.  Most of the time this is ok.  Just don't touch her...ha.  She has also started this coy, shy reaction.  She squints her eyes and leans her head to one shoulder and grins slightly.  Heart-breaker!

I'm not sure how much Caroline weighs.  I know she is getting heavier to carry.  We got a new convertible car seat for Daddy's car and now leave the infant carrier permanently in my car.  I was starting to have more difficulty carrying her in the car seat from daycare each evening. 
Caroline is still wearing a size 3 diaper and mostly 9-12 mo clothes.  Some of the 12mo items are still a little big in length. 

We celebrated Valentine's for the first time with Caroline.  She wore a cute outfit to school.  Daddy got her a card and teddy bear.  I didn't know he had gotten anything, and it made me a little misty eyed when I woke up and saw it on the table that morning.  I am so thankful that Caroline has a Daddy that thinks about her and shows her how much he cares for her.  She also got cards from Lollie and Mooie and Papa.  We had a family date dinner at Newk's on Valentine's Day.

It has been a fun month.  We are looking forward to a lot coming up this month.  Next week is Spring Break and we are planning our first family vacation!  Nervously excited.


Caroline,

You are our precious gift.  Watching you grow and learn is so rewarding.  Parents experience and view things in a whole new way when they watch their babies touch grass for the first time, eat a blueberry, and take that first step in independence.  We have long days and nights sometimes, but they are all worth it.  Some evenings, when I get you situated just right in my arms so you are still and content, we stand and sway, sometimes in silence, sometimes with a song, and I don't want to put you down.  Yes, there is dinner to fix and eat, bottles to wash, lunches to be made, rest desperately needed, but I try to be in that moment with you.  Other nights, when I am still up hours after you have been asleep, I just want to go in your room and watch you.  I have to resist picking you up, but I want to be close.  I don't want to miss anything, Caroline.  I love you and I always will.

-Momma (feel free to call me that anytime now ;) )















No comments:

Post a Comment